A handbook for youth by youth in foster care: The Answers Handbook serves as a guide to youth and adults, addressing many of the issues and questions that youth may have about the foster care system. The handbook was originally written for youth by a team of twenty-two youth in foster care who came together for a two day summit in 1998. Since that first publication, the information has been updated four times.
We will always update the Answers Handbook when new information is available.
You can look and print individual sections (below) or the entire Answers Handbook
- Who are the Youth Transition Workers?
- What is the Extended Care V-9 Contract?
- If you are 15 or older, read this page!
- If you are turning 18, read this page!
- How do I take care of my health?
- How do I take care of my mental health?
- What are my rights in mental health care?
- What information should I keep safe?
- What are education supports and services?
- What happens if I have to change schools?
- Heading to a new school?
- Thinking about college?
- How do I apply for the tuition waiver?
- What if I don’t qualify for the tuition waiver?
- What are financial supports for college?
- What are additional ways to pay for school?
- What if I am unsure about what I want to do?